A political science professor who understands students and encourages them to strive for greatness.

I was able to sit down and talk with my Political Science Professor, Lisa Ross. A professor that has given me inspiration and understanding through her enthusiasm. She is the most kindhearted people I have been lucky enough to meet who genuinely has a passion for her profession. She was born to immigrant parents in a small town in Ohio. She went to Brigham Young University for an undergraduate degree and then served a mission for the LDS Church in Costa Rica and Panama. She then graduated from Ohio State University with a degree in International Relations and Law in 1991. Professor Ross then moved to California when she was 30 and has been teaching college for 25 years primarily at Mt. San Antonio College, Rio Hondo College, and Citrus College.

Through this interview, I have learned a lot about who she was and even about myself. I asked her a couple questions about higher education and tips for students in community college

  1. Why is higher education important?

“Higher education is important because it is so widely recognized as the tool to open doors for both knowledge and economic opportunity. In our culture and most cultures, employers are less likely to give you opportunities without a degree. So it is a way to establish credibility to a future employer.”

2. What do you love most about your job?

“I am able to make connections with individuals in a way where I feel like what I offer them can bless their lives. I can try to inspire them to enjoy the learning process or become more active citizens, and just want to learn new things that they are interested in that give them passion in their own life. So I like the idea that I can spend time with students and be an influence that empowers them to be happier and improve their way of life. Also to remind them that learning is exciting.”

3. What made you want to teach?

“I fell into teaching through the backdoor. I got my law degree and anticipated on practicing law, but then I had my first child. Everything changed for me because I no longer had a passion to be gone from her like a full time job would require. The legal world would be very demanding, so I found out about teaching at the college level. I had no idea my law degree would be adequate to open that door. Once the door was opened and I was able to teach my first class, I had so much fun doing it. At the time, it was only part time teaching one night class, which was 3 hours a week. That is the perfect job for someone who wants to be fully committed to raising a child. Because my emphasis was raising my children, teaching allowed me to do that with my whole heart and soul. Teaching took up such a minor part of my energy that it just felt like a fun outlet. Then as my children grew, I could continue to add more classes and colleges I would teach at. But, I never really wanted to be a teacher. I learned that teaching complimented my truest desire which was to be a mother. Now that my kids are grown, I still teach because it’s super fun and easy for me, and I love the flexibility of the schedule I have, because it’s different every day and every semester. With teaching political science, today we talked about the latest changes in abortion law, but next class we will talk about something entirely different. We get to talk about different things, so it never feels repetitive, as if I was teaching the same subject day in and day out. I think because I am not professionally trained to be a teacher, that’s given me the latitude to be less unconventional, so as you would observe in my class that I am very relaxed about things that other teachers wouldn’t. For example due dates, because I remember my years in college and how difficult it could be to keep up with everything. So I really respect the struggles that students have with work, school, family problems, and whatever else they may be going through. I use my personality and my background I hope in a way that enhances a students experience, and students appreciate my accommodations to their life situations.”

4. What are some key attributes college students should have to be successful?

“I would say the number one thing is ‘desire’. You have to have some personal goal to make the dread have meaning. I think very close to ‘desire’ is ‘discipline’, if you don’t have discipline you will be consumed by distractions and will never be able to focus. Even if you love the class, there are moments that you just have to do your work. If you don’t have ‘desire’ and ‘discipline’ you won’t be able to push yourself through the work. It’s ideal when you have a class that you love so much, that the work doesn’t really feel like work, but almost every class requires some degree of study, reading, research, writing. Something where you’re just not in the mood at the moment to do it. The only way you’re going to succeed is if you have a bigger goal to push you through the uncomfortable moments.

5. Most community college students are working part time or full time while going to school, any tips for those students?

“Take as few classes as you can, so you don’t overload yourself. Try to always take one fun class so you can relax or not feel too stressed. Also, give yourself as much time as you can, so if you have a semester where you’re completely burned out, you can just take one class or take off, also look for a job that’s more flexible with yourself as possible that you don’t become too discouraged with rigid goals that are not realistic over time. Flexibility is urgently crucial, as is understanding that you do not need to get fantastic grades, unless you’re going into a certain profession such as; engineering, nursing, or some form of graduate school. Try to understand that mediocrity can be an asset, and perfectionism can ruin your life.”

6. If you could tell all students one thing, what’s the most important thing they should know?

“That life is good and worth living. That the struggle is just part of the joy. Struggle is essential for growth. You’ll get the degree, you’ll get the job, but it’s worth being happy about.”

Comments

Popular Posts